Sunday, June 29, 2014

Ode to Peaches

As you can tell it's been a while since I last posted. It's really been a while since I actually cooked. My schedule with school, graduating, going to Europe as my graduation present, and going to my college orientation have really kept me away from my home, the kitchen. Now that most of the excitement in my summer is over, I have loads of time to spend getting my hands busy with food. Since it is summertime and the living's  easy "peachy" (get the pun?), I decided to celebrate the season's sweetest fruit and create a menu, with a little help from my favorite food magazines of course, (almost) entirely dedicated to peaches. I give you,
Ode to Peaches

 Appetizer

Entrée  

Boston Lettuce, Peach Vinaigrette, Fresh Peaches, Red Onion, Blue Cheese



Dessert
with Vanilla Ice Cream

The nice thing about this menu is it is simple and parts of it can be made a few days in advance. Things such as the brine for the pork chops (actual brine- two days, pork in brine- 24 hours), the peach mustard (two days), and the peach vinaigrette (one week). Plus the menu is loaded with peaches and since we only have them for a couple months, enjoy them as much as you can while you can! 

I have good news and bad news about the outcome of the meal. Good news, it was DELICIOUS. The absolute best pork chop I have ever had. The bad news? The only thing I got a picture of was the cobbler, which I'll save for the end.

Starting with the first course, the Grilled Bacon Wrapped Peaches with Scallions. These were a savory sweet delight that my dad and I thoroughly enjoyed. They were stuffed with scallions that had also been grilled prior to being stuffed in the pit of the peach, giving the appetizer a wholesome savory feel. I highly suggest these at your next BBQ.

Next came the highlight of the meal, my Citrus-Brined Pork Chops with Peach Mustard. The infused flavors of cardamom and fennel seeds working with the brown sugar and citrus notes that the pork absorbed while being brined was just fantastic. So much flavor came through in every bite, especially with the peach mustard which also gave a nice tang.

More mustard notes were introduced in the Smashed Fingerling Potatoes with Jalapeños. The potatoes are roasted and then after cooling slightly, are smashed, tossed in a mustard dressing, and then finally fresh parsley and sliced jalapeños. No jalapeños for me though, I wimped out on that option. Regardless, not only were these potatoes delicious, they were incredibly easy to make. They were also the only thing on the menu without peaches! Sad, I know.

The thing that highlighted peaches the most and was loved by all (surprisingly), was my "Peachy-Keen" Salad. This salad composed of Boston leaf lettuce, thinly sliced red onions, diced peaches, and crumbled blue cheese was tossed with my homemade peach vinaigrette. I came up with this recipe after being inspired by a bottle of Peach Balsamic Vinegar, which I got from the Lakeline Farmer's Market. I used the vinegar to dissolve some peach preserves, whisked in some veggie oil, threw in some minced shallots, a little salt and pepper seasoning, and that became a delicious new staple in my refrigerator. Isn't it amazing how one ingredient can inspire an entire dish?

The final peach dish of the night came in dessert form. I sliced up some peaches and tossed them with blackberries and a touch of sugar. I let the fruit mixture sit for a while so the natural sugar and juices in them could be released . While doing so I made the crust, most people's favorite part. My crust is one that goes well with any fruit and is simply equal parts flour, sugar, and melted butter. With some fruits I might suggest you throw a little cinnamon in there, I did so with this particular cobbler. Dollop the crust on top of the fruit and throw it in the oven. Then put an ever bigger "dollop" of vanilla ice cream on there and devour.

I hope my ode to peaches inspires you to have your own. This picture of cobbler might help you out with that.
 -Madison




No comments:

Post a Comment